About the Course:
An MSc Botany is generally a two-year postgraduate program that aims to delve deeper into the intricate subjects of plant biology. This course covers an extensive range of disciplines about the study of plants, fungi and algae including growth, structure, properties and biochemical processes.
|Eligibility Criteria||Graduation or Equivalent in Relevant Subject|
Salient features of the program of MSc Botany are:
- The intention to provide the candidates’ research-oriented hands-on training in the field of modern plant biology; plant physiology and biotechnology, Molecular plant pathology, taxonomy, botanical techniques and ethnobotany.
- All practical tasks involve tangible problems and working on experimentally derived data.
- Candidates will gain knowledge in research and biostatistics.
- The provision of industry-academia research experience.
- Candidates will be given career guidance and placement assistance provided where required/ possible.
- Candidates encouraged and facilitated to take up PhD study.
Key areas of study:
The major subjects which are taught in the M.Sc. Botany curriculum include Phycology & Mycology, Taxonomy and Diversity of Plants, Microbiology, Cell & Molecular Biology, Plant Physiology and Biochemistry, Plant ecology, Plant development and resources, Genetics, Plant Tissue Culture, Botanical Techniques and applications, Plant Biotechnology; with specialization of Molecular Plant Pathology and Ethnobotany.
Program Education Objectives:
- To provide an updated education to the students at large in order to know the importance and scope of the discipline and to provide mobility to students from one university or state to other.
- To update curriculum by introducing recent advances in the subject and enable the students to face NET, SET, UPSC and other competitive examinations successfully.
- To impart knowledge of plant science as the basic objective of Education
- To develop a scientific attitude to make students open minded, critical and curious
- To develop an ability to work on their own and to make them fit for the society
- To develop skill in practical work, experiments, equipments and laboratory use along with collection and interpretation of plant materials and data
- To make aware of natural resources and environment and the importance of conserving the same
- To develop ability for the application of the acquired knowledge in the fields of life so as to make our country self reliant and self sufficient
- To appreciate and apply ethical principles to plant science research and studies
On completion of program students will be able to
- Think Critically – Get ability to apply the process of science by formulating hypotheses and design experiments based on the scientific method.
- Analyze and interpret results generated through studies in botany, taxonomical treatments, field studies, excursion tours and laboratory techniques used in the subject.
- Use quantitative reasoning by using mathematical calculations and graphing skills to solve problems in plant science (Botany)
- Effective Communication and collaborate with other disciplines by effectively communicating the fundamental concepts of Botany in written and oral format.
- Identify credible scientific sources to interpret and evaluate the evidences
- Understand the relationship between science and society by recognizing and discussing logical, scientific and ethical issues in Botany subject.
- Environment and Sustainability: Understand the issues of environmental contexts and sustainable development with respect to assessment, conservation and utilization of floral diversity.
Program Specific Outcomes:
On completion of program students will be specifically able to;
- Identify classify the plants by using the key characters.
- Prepare and view specimens for examination using light microscopy
- Use pure culture and selective techniques to isolate fungi, plant pathogens, algae and identify them growing on media.
- Qualitative and quantitative estimate the number of floral components by using enumeration and suitable sampling and techniques.
- Use appropriate plant molecular techniques and use of instrumentation realated to it.
- Practice safe laboratory procedures, using appropriate protective, biosafety and emergency procedures.
- Documentation and report writing on experimental protocols, results and conclusions, study tours and filed visits etc.
Few of the industries which one can work with are:
- Chemical Industry
- Food Companies
- Forest Services
- Biotechnology Firms
- Oil Industry
- Land Management Agencies
- Seed And Nursery Companies
- Plant Health Inspection Services
- National Parks
- Biological Supply Houses
- Plant Resources Laboratory
- Educational Institutions
Here are some of the top recruiters for the position of a Botanist:
- Central Council for Research in Homoeopathy,
- Forest Research Institute,
- Wildlife Institute of India,
- Union Public Service Commission,
- GBPIHED Recruitment For Research Associate (Botany),
- Bombay Natural History Society is one of the organizations that hire a botanist.
MSc Botany course provides you with career options in many different kinds of fields. Also, it has a huge scope in the future too.
Today, most of the problems our world is facing are related to the field of Botany. The problems related to forests, climate change, desertification, etc, can be easily solved with a better understanding of Botany. So, most of the nations are moving towards solving these problems, which is creating huge job opportunities for MSc Botany candidates.
One can also go for advanced or higher education courses after completing an MSc Botany degree. Few of them are discussed below for your reference:
- Ph.D. Botany:
This is a 3-year doctoral degree that focuses on the study of plants and tier survival techniques and skills. To pursue this study you need to secure a minimum score of 55% in aggregates in your master’s degree (5% relaxation for special categories). Ph.D. Botany focuses on research work more, it includes lecture-based sessions, field research, lab sessions, and many more. The average cost charged for this course ranges from INR 2,000 to INR 8 Lakhs per annum for a span of 3 years. After completing this course you can opt for various government and private job positions.
There are a number of jobs and career options available after this course. MSc Botany opens you to a wider range of job opportunities and sectors where you can apply for. The opportunities for botany graduates are widespread over both the public and private sectors.
In the public sector, the opportunities await in areas like public health service, national park services, department of agriculture, forest service, departments of conservation, and land management. In the private sectors, the opportunities are in the oil industry, food companies, seed companies, fruit growers, and biotechnology firms.
MSc Botany candidates with a good hold of genetics and biotechnology can pursue a career in biotechnological research on various species of bacteria, algae, and fungi, which are quite popular nowadays.
There is no end in the findings of new plants. A bulk majority of plant species are still unknown and researches are continuously going on to know about them. They are sure to grow in the future.
Common Job Options:
Research Associate, Biotech Marketing Executive, Clinical Data Analyst, Medical Coder, Diagnostic Specialist, Teacher, etc.
1st Semester M.Sc. in Botany Syllabus
2nd Semester M.Sc. in Botany Syllabus
3rd Semester M.Sc. in Botany Syllabus
4th Semester M.Sc. in Botany Syllabus
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 10 weeks
- Skill level All levels
- Students 0
- Assessments Yes