About the Course:
M.Sc in Biotechnology is a two years postgraduate programme that focuses on the advanced knowledge of the application of biology and chemistry in the field of technology, design and engineering. M.Sc Biotechnology involves the study of the usage of living organisms to produce bio-products
|Eligibility Criteria||Graduation or Equivalent in Relevant Subject|
- Develop an individual with a thorough understanding of every aspect of biotechnology by providing exposure to modern biotechnology in an interactive way.
- To enable the student to be independent and confident in reading, writing and presenting their research ideas to the public.
- Creating a knowledgeable workforce by exposure to industrial training and workshops.
- Molding students into self-sufficient individual having both theoretical and practical knowledge of various subjects in biotechnology including subject choice of their own.
Key areas of study:
The major subjects which are taught in the B.Sc. Biotechnology curriculum include Biomathematics, Biophysics, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Mathematics, Genetics,Microbial Genetics, Principles of Immunology, Plant and Animal Tissue Culture Techniques and applications, Plant Biotechnology; Introduction to Data Structure & Computer Organization, Molecular Genetics, Computational Biology & Bioinformatics.
Program Education Objectives:
- to make the students understand the basic theories, laws and mechanisms of the chemistry and further to make them prolific in extending this basic knowledge in to the understanding and development of the bio-chemistry and related interdisciplinary fields, like Cell Biology, Microbiology, etc.
- to promote education and research among the students in biotechnology and provide academic and professional excellence for immediate productivity in industrial, governmental, or clinical settings for an ultimate benefit of society and environment.
Upon completion of the M.Sc. Biotechnology programme, the candidate should be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge for in-depth analytical and critical thinking to identify, formulate and solve the issues related to Biotechnology Industry, Pharma industry, Medical or hospital related organizations, Regulatory Agencies, & Academia.
- Develop an ability to solve, analyze and interpret data generated from experiments done in project work or practical courses.
- Demonstrate skills to use modern analytical tools/ software/ equipments and analyze and solve problems in various courses of biotechnology.
- Appreciate and execute their professional roles in society as biotechnology professionals, employers and employees in various industries, regulators, researchers, educators and managers.
- Adopt code of ethics in professional and social context and demonstrate exemplary professional, ethical and legal behaviors in decision making.
- Apply written and oral communication skills to communicate effectively in healthcare, industry, academia and research.
- Apply responsibilities to promote societal health and safety, upholding the trust given to the profession by the society.
- Develop skills, attitude and values required for self-directed, lifelong learning and professional development.
Program Specific Outcomes:
The 2-year postgraduate course of Master’s in Biotechnology is designed with an aim to develop a theoretically knowledgeable and experimentally efficient individual in the field of biotechnology. This course covers the major aspects and modern biotechnology with exposure to recent and upcoming research technologies associated with this field. It also includes Open Elective courses which are designed to develop an individual with a thorough knowledge of a subject of their choice. Exposure to research is the base and is designed in a way to read, write and present particular research ideas. Research is made more interesting by providing industrial visits, training and workshops.
The Biotechnology Industry Partner were established for support on a cost sharing basis for path-breaking research in frontier futuristic technology areas having major economic potential and making the Indian industry globally competitive. Biotechnology Industry Partner supports the development of appropriate technologies in the context of recognized national priorities. These industries could be divided into seven (07) broad themes:
- Drugs including drug Delivery,
- Vaccines and clinical trials,
- Biosimilars& stem cells,
- Devices & Diagnostics,
- Industrial Biotechnology including Secondary Agriculture and
- Bioinformatics & facilities that virtually cover every aspect of Biotechnology.
While the topics covered may depend on the nature and course objectives of the program along with the specialisation pursued, here are a few subjects that you can expect to explore during courses after M.Sc. Biotechnology.
- Microscopy for Biological Sciences
- Genomics and Bioinformatics
- Leadership in Science
- Genetically Modified Organisms
- Project Management in Science
- Metabolomics and Proteomics
- Commercialisation of Science
- Tissue Engineering & Stem Cells
- Business Fundamentals for Biotechnology
- Biotechnology operations
- Early Drug Discovery
- Public Health
- Health Communication
This is an advanced course that offers bright career prospects to students. After doing the course, they can work in companies in the field of healthcare or pharma. They can even choose to make a career in research and do a Ph.D. in Biotechnology.
Here are the top recruiters for Government jobs after B.Sc. Biotechnology:
- Biotech Consortium India Limited
- Ministry of Ayush
- Botany and Zoology Research Institutes
- Public Universities
- Research Institutes in India
1st Semester M.Sc. in Biotechnology Syllabus
2nd Semester M.Sc. in Biotechnology Syllabus
3th Semester M.Sc. in Biotechnology Syllabus
4th Semester M.Sc. in Biotechnology Syllabus
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 10 weeks
- Skill level All levels
- Students 0
- Assessments Yes