About the Course:
The Bachelor of Science in biotechnology is a 3-year undergraduate course that involves an in-depth study of a biological process that is meant for industrial purposes like genetic manipulation of microorganisms to produce antibiotics, hormones, etc. used in medicine production and other such purposes.
|Eligibility Criteria||10+2 or Equivalent with Biology as core Subject in 12th|
- Biotechnology combines engineering technologies with biological sciences to regulate systems and living organisms.
- This undergraduate degree program aims to teach advanced lessons in the biological processes meant for industrial and other purposes.
- It allows the candidates to learn how technology is utilized to create useful and necessary products from living organisms.
Key areas of study:
The major subjects which are taught in the B.Sc. Biotechnology curriculum include Biomathematics, Biophysics, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Mathematics, Genetics,Microbial Genetics, Principles of Immunology, Plant and Animal Tissue Culture Techniques and applications, Plant Biotechnology; Introduction to Data Structure & Computer Organization, Molecular Genetics, Computational Biology & Bioinformatics.
Program Education Objectives:
The main objective of the course is:
- to make the students understand the basic theories, laws and mechanisms of the chemistry and further to make them prolific in extending this basic knowledge in to the understanding and development of the bio-chemistry and related interdisciplinary fields, like Cell Biology, Microbiology, etc.
- to promote education and research among the students in biotechnology and provide academic and professional excellence for immediate productivity in industrial, governmental, or clinical settings for an ultimate benefit of society and environment.
- Successful demonstration of oral, writing and communication skills.
- Encouraging interdisciplinary curriculum by cementing their basic knowledge in fundamental sciences.
- An envisioning of value based education for strengthening their personal development.
- Hands on technical as well as experimental skills to complement their theoretical knowledge in the curriculum.
- Students will hold research skills to make them competent as a candidate for various opportunities in India and across the world.
Program Specific Outcomes:
The Undergraduate programme in Biotechnology [B.Sc. Biotechnology] is oriented to create a conceptual background in Biological Sciences. Students will demonstrate an understanding of basic sciences including physics, chemistry and mathematics. Students will perceive in-depth knowledge of a broad range of fundamental biological aspects, including biochemistry, cell biology, molecular biology, molecular genetics, evolution and ecology etc. laboratory courses included in the curriculum enables the students to perform molecular, cellular, and biochemical techniques used in biotechnology. Exposure to courses like Pharmacology, Bioinformatics etc. open the wide spectrum of biotechnology to the students. Undergraduate project work in the final semester prepare students to approach a research problem, how to interpret, analyse and effectively communicate their findings to others. Successful completion of the course prepares students to opt for higher studies in Biological Sciences and Biotechnology.
The Biotechnology Industry Partner were established for support on a cost sharing basis for path-breaking research in frontier futuristic technology areas having major economic potential and making the Indian industry globally competitive. Biotechnology Industry Partner supports the development of appropriate technologies in the context of recognized national priorities. These industries could be divided into seven (07) broad themes:
a.) Drugs including drug Delivery,
b.) Vaccines and clinical trials,
c.) Biosimilars& stem cells,
d.) Devices & Diagnostics,
f.) Industrial Biotechnology including Secondary Agriculture and
g.) Bioinformatics & facilities that virtually cover every aspect of Biotechnology.
While the topics covered may depend on the nature and course objectives of the program along with the specialisation pursued, here are a few subjects that you can expect to explore during courses after B.Sc. Biotechnology.
- Microscopy for Biological Sciences
- Genomics and Bioinformatics
- Leadership in Science
- Genetically Modified Organisms
- Project Management in Science
- Metabolomics and Proteomics
- Commercialisation of Science
- Tissue Engineering & Stem Cells
- Business Fundamentals for Biotechnology
- Biotechnology operations
- Early Drug Discovery
- Public Health
- Health Communication
Jobs after B.Sc. Biotechnology:
- Research Fellow
- Clinical Research Associate
- Clinical Research Manager
- Associate Professor
- Project Assistant
- Biomedical Engineer
- Medical Scientist
- Food Scientist and Technologist
- Animal Biotechnologist
B.Sc. Biotechnology graduates can explore a plethora of job opportunities across the public and private sector. While pursuing courses after BSc Biotechnology, you can choose from a wide range of government jobs and private jobs in Biotechnology, Clinical Research, Bioinformatics, Medical Laboratories, Life Sciences, amongst others.
Here are the top recruiters for Government jobs after B.Sc. Biotechnology:
- Biotech Consortium India Limited
- Ministry of Ayush
- Botany and Zoology Research Institutes
- Public Universities
- Research Institutes in India
1st Semester B.Sc. in Biotechnology Syllabus
2nd Semester B.Sc. in Biotechnology Syllabus
3rd Semester B.Sc. in Biotechnology Syllabus
4th Semester B.Sc. in Biotechnology Syllabus
5th Semester B.Sc. in Biotechnology Syllabus
6th Semester B.Sc. in Biotechnology Syllabus
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 10 weeks
- Skill level All levels
- Students 0
- Assessments Yes